Episode: Operation Rich in Spirit
Cast: Linda Cardellini (Velma), Dave Coulier (Scooby-Doo), Phyllis Diller (Herself), Sarah Michelle Gellar (Daphne), Seth Green (Jason Voorhees, Old Man Phillips), Don Knotts (Himself), Matthew Lillard (Shaggy), Freddie Prinze, Jr. (Fred)
Segment Summary: Mystery Inc tries to solve what looks like their last case
Written By: Seth Green
Animated By: Anonymous
- This is a parody of Friday the 13th and Scooby-Doo.
- This reunites the entire cast of the Scooby-Doo movies with Seth Green, who had starred in the film Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed.
- When Velma claims the virgins live the longest, it is a reference to Scream, which Matthew Lillard starred in.
- Shortly before being killed, Don Knotts says "...and one of my apartment tenants might be a flaming homo!" This line refers to his role as Mr. Furley in the sitcom Three's Company, who was a landlord (One of his tenants - played by John Ritter - pretended to be gay so Furley would agree to let him live with two women).
- Scooby's head is placed on a pike outside of the campsite, reminiscent of the Lord of the Flies.
- Don Knotts and Phyllis Diller's random appearance in the segment is a possible parody of The New Scooby-Doo Movies where a guest star would randomly appear in each episode and help the gang thwart the villain. In this series, Phyllis Diller guest-starred once whereas Don Knotts did so twice.
Trivia / Info:
- This segment was Don Knotts's final television role.
- Old Man Philips bears a striking resemblance to Old Man Smithers AKA The Luna Ghost from the beginning of the first Scooby-Doo live-action movie.
- The music used during the scene where Shaggy and Scooby are killed was later used in the sketch Rape Ghost.
- We never see what happened to Fred and Phyllis Diller.
- Daphne says "that must be Jason's dead mother" since Mrs. Voorhees was decapitated in Friday the 13th.
- Most likely, Fred was killed by Jason when trying to escape the camp.
- Fred's ambiguous fate could also be a reference to the character of Paul from Friday the 13th Part 2 where in that film, the character suddenly disappears, leaving it up to the audience to decide whether he was killed by Jason or if he survived.
Goofs / Nitpicks:
- The Mystery Machine's model is that of the original 60s design but the markings are completely different, lacking the flower designs all around with their replacements being orange flames along with a more vibrant green which causes it to more closely resemble the movie incarnation than anything else.
- The Mystery Machine is also lacking the spare green tire cover and instead has a black standard tire on the front.
- During a few shots, Scooby's eyebrows are left unpainted and as the same color as his fur.
- Daphne's shoes were purple in the original series but are left unpainted and in pink like her leggings in the skit.
- Fred's shoes are now a standard pair of black loafers instead of the brown pair he wore in the series.
- When Jason is chasing Shaggy and Scooby down the halls, he is holding his machete in the opposite direction with the curved portion of the blade pointing more towards him.
- Not exactly a mistake but it's worth noting. The box of Scooby Snacks that Shaggy and Scooby find is not the same as the cartoon's green and blue boxes but rather, it looks much closer to the real-life boxes of Scooby Snacks that can be found in various stores around the globe.
- Despite Velma implying that she's the only one left, it is unclear as to what happened to Phyllis Diller and unlike the case of Fred's disappearance, there is no explanation to be had here.
- Velma said Jason killed all of Mystery Inc. but, he was never seen killing Fred, but he might have got killed off-screen.
- When Daphne says that Fred's ascot makes him look gay, She and Fred are lying down, but when Jason smashes the door just a second later, They're standing up with no time to do so.
- Velma could not have known that all her friends were dead since she was searching for clues in the woods, and none of the Mystery Inc. members were killed in the woods though it could be possible that her clue search did lead her to the various locations where the other members were investigating.
- Just after Scooby says "Better Shaggy than me", Shaggy can be heard grunting even through he already is dead.
- During the ending sex scene, Old Man Philips's head is much more wrinkly and lacking in detail though that could've been a cost saving measure.
- During the opening shot with the Mystery Machine, we see Shaggy's hand at the steering wheel, even through Fred is the driver in the group but then again, Shaggy has been shown to drive the Mystery Machine on more than a few occasions.
- Not exactly a goof but still interesting to note. The figure of Shaggy that is seen in the Mystery Machine is actually a part of the standard "Mystery Solving Crew" set of action figures as seen by the different joints and sculpting since the actual figures used for the episode are custom made dolls by the Robot Chicken staff.
Flatley & Vader - Previous Segment