Elián González (born December 6, 1993) was at the center of a heated custody and immigration battle in 2000 involving the Cuban and United States governments, his father, his Miami and Cuban relatives, and the Cuban American community of Miami. However, after the Miami relatives' appeals met several rejections by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals in Atlanta, and a refusal to hear the case by the U.S. Supreme Court, Elián González returned to Cuba with his father, Juan Miguel González, on the afternoon of June 28, 2000.
Segments Alluded ToEdit
- Finding Elián - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com
- Famous photograph of raid on relatives' house
- Gabriel García Márquez wrote a chronicle on the story.
- Article on Elián 5 years on (BBC)
- Elián interview sparks Miami row (BBC)
- Official Cuban website about the custody battle for Elián
- The Politics of Elian - Wall Street Journal, April 6, 2000